Thursday, May 14, 2009

It's a Classic!




Sometimes I resist story ideas. Sometimes the ideas fight back.

I had a vague idea about a time-travel story that I'd been pushing to the back of brain whenever it popped up. Time-travel stories are hard. I prefer to be the nit-picker of such tales, rather than the provider of nits for others. Boing! boing! boing! suck! suck! suck!

However, the damn story would not die quietly. It kept prodding me in the soft squishy grey matter with interesting ideas. Then it hooked me with one of those trying-to-get-back-to-sleep-after-being-woken-up-by-my-child thoughts. A bit-character in the story who is a technician scanning alternate timelines and illegally tapes TV shows and films that don't exist in our 'actual' timeline.

The first movie that popped into my head was a buddy picture with Bruce Lee and Dean Martin entitled Ain't That A Kick In The Head. I'd want to watch that. It's just the kind of DVD I'd stumble across in a bargain bin and wave at my wife with unabashed glee while saying; "It's a classic!"

So now the story has a hold of me. But I think I've fooled it. I've managed to avoid most of time-travel aspects by redefining what the story is about. Take that future nit-pickers!

No comments:

Post a Comment