Sunday, June 28, 2009

As romantic as cold cat sick ?



I usually get my wife to proofread my blogs before putting them up. Yesterday's blog mentioned marriage, which made her bring up my less than romantic 'proposal' to a friend. In my defense ... actually, I'm not sure there is one other than being a stupid f**k.

My wife to be ... girlfriend at the time, obviously ... and I had been living together for a while ... not too long ...

Well, one day she asks me to go outside with her. I said, 'Why?" She just said she wanted me to go outside with her. I pointed out, quite practically I thought, that it was raining. She said it wasn't raining that hard. I had to agree, but still didn't see the point in going outside. She insisted. I resisted. She insisted. I caved, reluctantly, and she led me outside by the hand.

There, in the light drizzle, my girlfriend held me by both hands, spun me around a little, looked me in the eyes and asked me to marry her. I did what any idiot male would do in that situation ... I panicked. I mumbled, I coughed. I said: "No."

Over the years I have tried to justify my actions that day. I was scared. I was unsure. I was taken by surprise. But in reality I think I was just a dickhead.

To compound things further ... I often found myself, in the following days, thinking about this marriage proposal. One evening the two of us walked to the local Fish & Chip shop to get our nightly repast. We were holding hands on the way, talking about everything and nothing, until we arrived at the shop and both fell silent as we scanned the menu to determine what each of us would order.

Instead of choosing a meal I began to think about how great life was, how well the two of got along, how lovely she was in the glow of the florescent light of the Chip shop. So I turned to her and said softly ...

"You're right. We should get married."

Is it the least romantic proposal ever? Maybe. I like to think of it as a not very romantic acceptance of a proposal. However, it does make some things abundantly clear. My wife is a very tolerant women and I am lucky to have her.

What she sees in me ... ? You'd have to ask her.

3 comments:

  1. First time round for me, when I suggested we might get engaged, I got the response "I thought we already were...". Duh!?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Murlocos Fish and Chip ShopJune 28, 2009 at 8:50 PM

    I think you are being a bit hard on yourself, as far as proposals go, it might not have been the most romantic, but it certainly is memorable!
    As for myself, it was very late, we were in bed, I was almost asleep, when my boyfriend spoke up "Are we getting married or not!?" To which I replied "Do we have to talk about this now!?"

    ReplyDelete
  3. All I can say is thats not the line she told me, lets just say yes it is possible for things to be less romantic

    ReplyDelete