Sunday, June 21, 2009

It's a Classic ... No, really !



We have a few DVDs in our collection that provoke dismay from some of our friends. Cannibal Women in the Avocado Jungle of Death is one of those. I think it is great. My wife will tolerate it every few years if there's enough to drink when it's playing. Part parody of Apocalypse Now, part cheesy exploitation movie and part sly commentary on the feminist movement, it falls flat at times, but overall it is a fun film.

The writing impresses me on Cannibal Women--I aspire to mix elements into a story as effectively as they are in this movie--but I was amazed to learn that the writer's name, J. D. Athens, is a pseudonym for the writer of Pretty Woman, among other things.

I'm one of those people who can't understand why anyone would find Pretty Woman to be a romantic movie. He buys her for sex. Plain and simple. It is not romantic. Rather it is unbelievable, exploitative, and perpetuates an unwanted myth about the heart of gold hooker and the nice john that I'm sure has been used for evil ever since. But then I'm of the opinion that The Piano isn't a romantic movie either.

For me a romantic movie is The Princess Bride. I'm still a kid at heart. But as for Pretty Woman being romantic? Inconceivable!

3 comments:

  1. the horror the horror.......

    actually I quite liked it, less silly than vampire bats, better breasts than Casablanca and better acting than kung pow, and that’s just the movies you have shown me....

    ReplyDelete
  2. Don't forget ... Santa Claus Conquers the Martians ... a holiday classic.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I had tried to, thanks for reminding me, that movie is...... well its the best movie where Christmas is canceled by martins capturing Santa I have ever seen….. and that is as nice as I can be

    ReplyDelete