Monday, June 1, 2009

Recipe for Disaster



Thanks to an annoying chest infection I ended up home alone over a holiday weekend. It was nice and restful ... well, relatively. It also meant I got to cook some of the foods that the rest of my family are not so interested in. Sardines, yams, black pudding (actually my daughter loves this, so much so I usually don't get any myself), hot curries, coriander (which my wife despises) and zucchini (or courgettes if you prefer). This meant I could cook my signature dish ... the only recipe I can say I created myself, mainly out of desperation one day in a house that only had a few things to cook with ...

Zucchini and Bananas

1 small knob of butter
1 medium or 2 small zucchinis
1 banana (not too ripe)
The juice of 1 lime or lemon
1 handful of fresh coriander leaves (optional)


Melt the butter in a pan, add sliced zucchini and cook until lightly browned. Then add the banana, cut into slices about twice as thick as the zucchini. Add the lime or lemon juice. Cook until the banana slices start to change shape but before they dissolve, it shouldn't take very long. Serve with a sprinkle of chopped coriander leaves or, if you prefer, chopped parsley..

It goes well with curries, or anything with a bit of spice, but don't cook it for my wife.

2 comments:

  1. Reminds me of my infamous recipe of peanut butter* sandwiches with sliced banana and blindingly hot green chilli chutney.

    And why have you never made this for me???

    Judi

    * that is NZ peanut butter where the ingredients are just peanuts and a touch of salt.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The main reason I have never cooked this for you, Trills, is that meals with me are also meals with my wife ... and even the smell of fresh (but not dried) coriander sets her off.

    ReplyDelete