Sunday, March 14, 2010

Script: AFTER, story four

AFTER story four
Go Fish
by David Tulloch and (your name here)


Disclaimer: Like anything I write, the panel breakdowns are just suggestions. If you want to group some panels together so there are multiple speech bubbles, or break them apart so there are more panels with less words, feel free. Layout suggestions are just that. You're the artist, feel free to play with the layout and frames as you wish.

Page ONE

1/1
Connie, the homeless girl from a previous episode, Great Expectation, is standing on the side of a highway, thumb out, hitch-hiking. She has a backpack that looks like it was once a school bag, although not hers. She is returning from the ocean, and has a necklace she has made of a shell on some string around her neck. Cars and pickups go by on the road which is not congested, but still busy.

1/2
A pickup pulls over in front of Connie, and she jogs toward it.

1/3
A large panel with Titles that shows the pickup close up, so we can see the rear bumper/tailgate of the pickup. There's a Christian fish symbol on it, as well as an NRA bumper sticker that read 'From My Cold Dead Hands'. We can see the open passenger side door, and Connie's legs. The fish symbol on the truck should be nice and obvious, and the titles should be nearby to further draw attention to it. After all, this is after the rapture, so anyone driving a truck with these symbols must be an interesting kind of person.
(off) Get in, little lady.
(off) Thanks, mister.
TITLES
AFTER
Story four
Go Fish



Page TWO
The next few pages take place inside the pickup. The man is a heavy-set. His backstory (in case it helps visualize him) is that he was a radio evangelical preacher before the rapture. The fact that he remains gives some indication to his character. The radio is on, quietly at first, in the pickup.

2/1
Man: "Where you headed?"
Connie: "Austin."
(radio, soft): "... all you're bar-be-que needs under one roof. Bar-be-que Town ... "

2/2
Man: "I can get you a-ways."
Connie: "Thanks."
(radio, soft): "For the best Bar-be-que around, come down to Bar-be-que Town."

2/3
Man: "Nice to have some company. Normally just me and the radio."
(radio, soft): "And you're back with Dr. Marsha. Go ahead caller."

2/4
Man: "You from round here?"
Connie: "I used to be."
(radio, soft): "Hi, Dr. Marsha. I'm Bob, from Fort Worth ...

2/5
Man: "Things change, don't they."
Connie: "Yeah."
(radio, soft): "Hi, Bob, what can I help you with today? ... "


Page THREE


3/1
The man's hand turning up volume knob.
Man: "I used to be on the radio, you know."
(Radio, now louder): "Um, I have a problem. It's kinda ... personal."

3/2
Man: "Pastor Billy they called me. People used to hang on my every word."
(Radio): "It's okay, Bob. You know me, I don't judge. The time for that has passed."

3/3
Man: "Things change."
Connie: "Sorry."
(Radio): "Well, um when I'm with a woman, you, know, intimately, and it gets intense ... "

3/4
Man: "Oh, it's okay. Now I get to drive around all day. I like it."
(Radio): Well, one of us, her or me, will often say something out loud like 'Oh my God', or even 'Jesus' ... That's very common, Bob."

3/5
Man: "It was confining being on the radio. Kept you pinned down."
(Radio): "Yeah, but ... it seems wrong somehow, Now, after everything that happened, it just seems wrong. I find it spoils the mood ... "

3/6
Man: "You must know what I mean. You're a free spirit. I can see that."
(Radio): "I see. So what do you want from me, Bob? Something else to scream out during sex?"


Page FOUR

4/1
Man: "I like Dr Marsha. She's a straight shooter."
(Radio): "Um, ... I guess that could help."

4/2
Hand turning the volume down and off

Radio: "Maybe you could try yelling the woman's name, Bob. Assuming you know it, that is. ... Um, I suppose I could try (click)."

4/3
Man looking at Connie.
Man: "So what do you scream out, little lady?

4/4
Connie looking worried.
Connie: "Could you let me out, please."
Man: "Aww, come on now. I was just talking."


Page FIVE

5/1
Connie: "Please. I think I left something important behind. I need to go back."
Man: "I can take you all the way to Austin if you'll just be nice."

5/2
Connie: "I want to get out, please."
Man: "You sure about that?"

5/3
Man: "There's not many folks that pick up hitchers round here ... and there's so many more of you lately."

5/4
Connie reaching into her backpack. The man holding a and up defensively as though he's given up.
Connie: "I have a knife."
Man: "Fine, fine. I don't need no trouble."


Page SIX

6/1
The pickup pulled over on the side of the road, Connie's door opening.
(Man): "There. See, I didn't mean you no harm."
(Connie): "Sure, mister."

6/2
Connie is now out of the pickup.
Man: "So many of you wandering around aimlessly on the highways these days."

6/3
Man: "I don't need to waste time with an ingrate like you, missy."

6/4
He starts to drive off, and once again we can see the tailgate bumper of the back of the pickup with the fish symbol and bumper sticker. Connie standing in the foreground on the side, looking a bit shaky.
Man: "Plenty more fish in the sea for this fisherman."

END

No comments:

Post a Comment